Sunday, March 18, 2012

Books~~Hunger Games

I'm not sure if you've heard all the hoopla surrounding these books by Suzanne Collins, but I have a teenager that keeps me up to par on all the hot books and movies, so I just had to read these books so I would know what all the excitement is about! The books have been made into a movie, which is being released in just a few weeks, and there seems to be Twilight~like anticipation revolving the release of this movie! The premise of the story is super disturbing, but I decided to dive in anyway and would love to know what you all think of this series. Not to give too much away, the story revolves around a young girl named Katniss Everdeen. She lives in a futuristic Dystopian society, where the earth's population has been divided into "Districts" following a huge uprising against a cruel and unusual government. (SUPER CRUEL and UNUSUAL) To punish the people of the Districts for the uprising, the government holds yearly "Hunger Games" where each District has to choose a boy and girl, starting at the age of 12, to fight the other district's children to the death. It's really sick. But let me tell you, these books are white HOT. Teens and kids are reading them like crazy. Even my 12 year old wants to read them because everyone in her 6th grade class is carrying around the books like some badge of honor. I've so far been able to steer her away from them because, in my opinion, these books are NOT for middle schoolers. They are graphic and the content is just so sad and disturbing. I've just finished book two, Catching Fire, which ends with a HUGE cliffhanger. I have to say, I do like that the lead character is a super strong, smart female! That part rocks. And I will go see the movie, as I don't want to be the only one not able to talk about the hottest movie to pass through in months! It should be good but I'm sure as heck going to take along some Kleenex! (I'm a crier.) So have you all read these books? What do you think? Let me know your thoughts. Or what you're reading now. I need my next book to get me through my insomniac nights~~~ XOXO

No comments:

Blog Archive